Two-Part Presentation on Estate Planning with Q&A (Part 1: Planning Phase, Part 2: The Execution Phase) – July 22, 2017 @ 11:00 AM (FREE EVENT)
- “If You Don’t Have a WILL, The State of Texas Has One for You!”
Estate planning has become increasingly complex with tax changes, blended families, and changing laws. Attorney Lorie Burch promises not to bore you to tears as you become familiar with the basics – including wills, trusts, guardianships, powers of attorney, and living wills. Lorie will cover the following topics:
- The importance of preparing yourself and your loved ones with these vital documents;
- The pitfalls of do-it-yourself planning;
- Proper beneficiary designations for life insurance and retirement;
- Tax planning to avoid estate taxes;
- When to update estate planning;
- Wills versus Living Trusts;
- How to style bank and investment accounts; &
- The probate process in Texas.
- “Where There’s a Will, There’s a Way. And There are Ways even without a Will….”
Attorney Jen Green will take you on a quick tour through the steps of the probate process.
- Learn your options: Small Estate Affidavit, Affidavit of Heirship, Independent Estate Administration, and Dependent Estate Administration (available with a Will, or Intestacy (where the Texas legislature supplies your Will));
- Learn why good estate planning can make the probate process painless and the crazy things that can happen when you fail to plan properly;
- Take advantage of Texas’ generous homestead provisions, and the provisions to protect a surviving spouse;
- Learn how to convert separate property into community property, and vice versa, and why you might want to; &
- There will also be a short section on will contests and challenges, with a focus on undue influence, an emerging area in these times of hired home care for the elderly or infirm;
- Be proactive in protecting yourself and your loved ones!
- Remember, you can’t take it with you, so shop now and enjoy, and with proper planning, you can even be sure where it goes later on.
JULY 22, 2017 @ 11:00 AM
Richardson Mercantile Event Room
101 S. Coit Road, Suite 50
Richardson, TX 75080
Event is FREE of charge and refreshments will be provided.
Space is limited to 40 attendees.
Please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org
Bring your family, friends, and neighbors, you don’t want to miss this! Tell everyone you know about this event & be sure to visit our Facebook page and follow us to learn more about this and future events!
– The Winning Team